Smart, Secure, Sustainable - Open Trust Port
Supporting the Oil & Gas IRM, Subsea, Renewables and Cruise Markets.
The Port of Cromarty Firth is a national strategic asset which drives economic growth, prosperity and opportunity to the Highland region and to Scotland.
The Port’s objective is to sustainably develop, improve and safeguard Cromarty Firth for the benefit of all its diverse stakeholder groups, by utilising the natural deep sheltered waters of the Cromarty Firth and first-class modern facilities. Port-related activity generates £275m per year in economic value and supports one in six jobs locally. As a Trust Port, over £50m has been reinvested into infrastructure developments geared towards a number of key commercial industries, including – oil and gas, cruise, and offshore renewables.
What is a Trust Port?
There are three types of port ownership common in the UK, namely Private, Local Authority and Trust. With the exception of some lifeline ferry services the entire sector is strategically and financially independent of central Government. Trust Ports governance structures are particularly designed to reflect local markets and the needs of local communities. It is a popular model in the UK, with over 100 Trust Ports in existence.
Trust is defined in law as ``confidence placed in a person by making that person the nominal owner of property to be held or used for the benefit of one or more others``. The Port is honoured to act as guardian for the sustainable use of the Firth to ensure current and future generations can enjoy its many benefits.
The Port's History
The Port of Cromarty Firth has long been recognised for its potential as a great port. In Thomas Telford's 1802 report on developing Highland transport links, Captain Duff recommended the firth as a base for warships. The Navy visited the firth from 1854 and in 1913 the port became a 'dockyard port' and the Admiralty took control of all the waters of the Cromarty Firth. After the war, some parts of the harbour were passed back into civilian use, but Naval visits continued. In the 1960s the distillery opened and the first government licences for offshore oil exploration were issued. A shadow port authority was formed in 1970 and an Act of Parliament formally established the authority in 1973. The Port Authority was made responsible for navigation in the firth, for the reclamation of land at Balintraid and Nigg Bay, and for proactively encouraging the development of the Port of Invergordon. Ports have a natural ebb and flow: The tide comes in and the tide goes out. People come and go, businesses open and close, industries change with the times and wildlife changes with the seasons. The only constant is the water. The Firth sustains and supports life, jobs and communities.
Cromarty Firth Port Authority, Port Office, Shore Road, Invergordon, IV18 0HD
+44 (0) 1349 852308
Chief Executive – Bob Buskie
General Manager – Calum Slater
Commercial & Finance – Richard Fea
Business Development – Joanne Allday
Marketing and PR – Stuart MacDonald Butler